Monday, August 13, 2012

bemelmans, babar and a bear named paddington

fifi by ludwig bemelmans
"fifi" 1940 by ludwig bemelmans

Today:  A re-visit with some childhood favorites.

Bemelmans' "Madeline" was a late discovery.  The little Parisian schoolgirl was unfamiliar to me when I was her age, but in my teens I became enchanted, perhaps because I was becoming fond of anything French. 



madeline by ludwig bemelmans
"madeline in the flower market" by ludwig bemelmans

paris illustration by ludwig bemelmans
paris by ludwig bemelmans



Babar, by Jean de Brunhoff

The fate of this little elephant's mama filled me with horror when I read this classic storybook as a child.

Babar and Arthur











I remember wanting a Paddington Bear very much as a child, but I did not discover the charming stop-motion animated series until much later.






The first episode:





winnie the pooh




When "The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" cartoon series appeared, my favorites were those that starred Tigger, including this one:



Beatrix Potter

Peter Rabbit

Read the Tale of Jemima Puddle Duck here:

Miss Moppet


The Tale of Tom Kitten and Jemima Puddle-Duck: 
 

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, warm place 148 Bonnie Meadow Road is going to be! I can't wait to see what else happens here.

    There are 2 beautiful coffee table books about Beatrix Potter, called simply The Art of Beatrix Potter and Beatrix Potter's Art.

    My favorite is the second, one can see the finesse of her drawing ability, even at a young age, or in small studies of mushrooms or birds.

    I highly recommend a trip to the library to find them. Because her drawings were for children, she is often overlooked as an artist. These books make it clear that she was an illustrator of the highest caliber.

    Thanks for the reflections, the musings and the fun, April! I will be checking in often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for stopping by, Jackie! I also find Beatrix Potter's illustrations fascinating and beautiful as stand-alone works of art. It was her drawings that captured my attention from the very first. I recognized they were a style all their own, neither mawkish or dryly academic. Her attention to detail is astonishing and reminds me of the pre-raphaelites. I am quite sure I have read the books you mention at some point, but thank you for the reminder and for your comment.

    ReplyDelete